Wednesday, July 11, 2007

riding in my funk-mobile.

"Welcome to the real world",
she said to me condescendingly
Take a seat
Take your life
Plot it out in black and white
Well I never lived the dreams
of the prom kings
And the drama queens
I'd like to think the best of me
Is still hiding
Up my sleeve

They love to tell you
Stay inside the lines
But something's better
On the other side


-- from John Mayer's "No such Thing"

recently, my life appears to be in stationary position. it's weird. not having to do anything "planned" or routine during the week has made me rather slothy and antsy all at the same time. usually around this time of year, if i wasn't in school, i would be working, or if it wasn't that, i'd be happily travelling to some far distant lands; or doing anything related to... movement.

but since i've finished teachers college in may, and have also managed to finish my esl qualification course in june; i feel july has somehow left me at a standstill; mental pictures casting me in front of some typical lowly western backdrop with a couple of tumbleweeds rolling by, only to mock me of their ability to be in motion. and knowing that for some reason puts me in a place of uncomfortable vulnerability. to be "free" and literally have nothing planned in the next couple of months places me a bit outside of my comfort zone, and though i've found myself many a time craving this same emancipation from all those routine-related things mentioned above; now that i have it, i'm not sure what to do with it. of course, i could always keep looking for a job for september, which has probably been one of the few consistent (not to mention frustrating) things i've been doing since may; but one can only stare at a website and update resumes and cover letters for so long.

reading my past blogs (simply because i now have time on my hands to do so), it seems that there was a lot more to be said about my life. from the people to everyday happenings, life on the whole seemed a lot more adventurous, interesting and ... "bloggable." what happened?! yet, despite this pesudo-rant, i have told myself over and over again that i will not succumb to the common bitterness that many people feel as they get older or when they realize that they have reached a point in their lives where they have absolutely no idea what to make of themselves. but it ain't easy, i'll tell you that much.

there are probably a number of other contributing factors to my current pesudo-rant/ramble - one of them having been playing one too many rounds of the waiting game. but just to make it clear that i haven't totally been stripped of my optimism, i haven't lost all hope that i could easily stumble across a few adventure-esque moments in the next couple of months (guitar lessons and road trips being a very strong possibility :OP). if there's one thing i do know, it's that eventually, like many other funks before this one, this too shall pass (a common theme for me this year) and obla di obla da life goes on brahhh... lala how the life goes on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rohit said...

my unsolicited overly-optimistic pro-blogging comment of the day? here it is, stella:

i think the correlation between interesting experiences and blogging about interesting experiences works both ways.

anecdote:
waiting for my car at the mechanic one day, i decided to skip the waiting room and explore a random part of the city for an hour. i inadvertently cut through a "prostitution zone", took photos of the needle, met a random dude and his dog, and then blogged about it from a new coffee shop. good times.

would i have made the effort to explore if i didn't think i'd be blogging about it? perhaps. but the blogging sure didn't hurt.

so what's the morale? keep on blogging estelle! sure, fun adventures lead to fun entries, but sometimes, if you're in the habit, it works the other way around too.

sincerely,
your #1 blogging fanboy

July 12, 2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger mamastella said...

lol. well-stated, my favourite robohit. you know, for some reason, your comment reminded me of an infamous msn conversation you and i had back in our waterloo days that i blogged about in one of my earlier blogs... and like this comment above, i was rather amused by your words:

(dated back saturday, may 15, 2004)

robohit says: but really estlle...
robohit says: i think you're beautiful. inside and out.
robohit says: and all that i say about hoping to end up with a girl like you.
robohit says: i mean it
stella - in sauga till monday morning! says: LOL you realize i'm blogging about this conversation right at this very moment right?
robohit says: nooo
robohit says: no fair
robohit says: i'm tipsy
robohit says: but i do love you estlle

***

stella - in sauga till monday morning! says: holy crap how much did you drink?
robohit says: not much actually
robohit says: i don't think i'm drunk..
robohit says: i just don't feel like hiding stuff anymnore
robohit says: i feel like being open
robohit says: btw you've got an incredible voice
robohit says: i mean.. not just in singing
robohit says: but you're falsettto or whatever it's called
robohit says: it's beautilful
robohit says: when u pronounce just regular words.. i think it's beautifful

... now those were the days of fantastic "blogdom" :oD *ahem* perhaps i should just keep on blogging in hopes that one of these days, a similar conversation like this will occur yet again in my lifetime.

yours truly,
your #1 monkey-raving buddy

July 13, 2007 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home