Thursday, June 16, 2005

estelle gonzales: from graduand to graduate...



another chapter is over. another blog begins.

It's something unpredictable
but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.


today was convocation. sitting patiently in my chair for 3 grueling hours of speeches and a couple hundred students receiving their degree before me gave me ample time to reflect on the 5 year-long journey that is - now was - my undergrad career at the university of waterloo.

i remebered first setting foot on university campus 5 years ago, as a very naive, bright-eyed and vulnerable frosh with the bittersweet taste of newly-given independence in my mouth. i had embedded in my mind that attending university would allow me the opportunity to re-invent myself... but while sitting there among the other graduates this afternoon, i realized that my university years didn't really give much room for re-invention, but rather gave me the 5-year chance to define and even more so refine what was already there to begin with.

to believe that it's all come to a close now seems somewhat surreal - even till now, a significant part of me hasn't completely come to terms with all the hoopla just yet. and as much as i hate to admit it, i know i'll miss waterloo - everything from the amazing friends i've made, to the inspirational profs who actually took the time to encourage and push me to the limit, along with the nazi-like profs that scared the heebeegeebees out of me (names will not be mentioned, but most of you know who i'm talking about! all i can say is that i will never read thomas hardy the same way again! :oS); to even the familiar poo-scent that gives waterloo its unmistakable character - all of it will always be a part of me.

... and yes, even the drama ;o)

initially, the thought of attending convocation didn't strike me as something i wanted to do on my on free will (originally, my mom wanted it more than i did :oP). but i'm actually pretty glad that i went. and hey, 'twas a great feeling to know that the blood, sweat, and tears that were shed during all those all-nighters writing essays and reading over a plethora of poems, epic novels, shakesperean plays, post-colonial wonderment, and critical theories were actually all worth something in the end. :o)

so after all that's been said and done in the past 5 years of my undergrad career at waterloo, i let out a huge sigh of relief and look forward to embracing the uncertainty that will unfold after today.

hats off to the graduating class of 2005! :o)

4 Comments:

Blogger b said...

congratulations estelle! :D

June 17, 2005 12:09 AM  
Blogger Mandy Lam said...

:) We're graduated!!!!! YAY! Congrats gf. I'm glad you came...btw.. my mother was very impressed with your vietnamese!

June 17, 2005 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't university supposed to give you ANSWERS to lots of important questions...? Where you're going in life... what the heck you're gonna do with a RHETORIC degree... what the heck BURKEAN criticism has to do with ANYTHING...

It seems, instead, that there are just MORE questions... IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Anyway... you're gonna be my inspiration... thinking of you in your cap and gown will get me through those all-nighters next year!! *Sniffle*

The link on my desktop has been updated so I'll be checking you our regularly!
KEEP ME ENTERTAINED!!! LOL!!

:)

June 20, 2005 8:57 PM  
Blogger mamastella said...

lol thanks y'all! in response, i let out a resounding woot.

... WOOOT!

and kendra, just a heads up for when your turn comes: sadly, we don't get hats :o(

June 21, 2005 1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home